PARKS AND TREES
1735 Montgomery Street, Oroville, CA. 95965
Phone (530) 538-2415
Fax (530) 538-2426
Charles Miller, Director of Parks and Trees
Butte County Pioneer
Downtown Oroville, looking east on Montgomery
Street, after the flood of 1907.
Inspired by her father's passion for history, Florence
Danforth Boyle had a lifelong dream to create a museum dedicated
to preserving the memories of the Pioneers who first settled
in California and in particular, the Butte County area. Florence
Boyle made her dream a reality with the aid of the local members
of the Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West in
On the Feather River July 4th 1909
The original six hundred square foot building was erected on
the sight of Oroville's first sawmill. Designed to represent
a pioneer's cabin, the small building was constructed from hand
made brick and rough sewn timbers. The structure was embellished
with historical elements. The face of the building was covered
with rock quarried from the winter quarters of the Toto tribe.
The entry was paved with stones from the early downtown
sidewalks. The flag pole was salvaged from Oroville's first Department
of Motor Vehicles office.
Construction of the bridge over the Feather
River, between Oroville and Thermalito headed west, after the
flood of 1907.
The Butte County Pioneer Memorial Museum was dedicated on May
12, 1932. Mayor Rolph of San Francisco, who later became Governor
of California, was among the officials attending the ceremony.
Northern Electric Railway
The museum grew from its humble beginnings to an impressive collection
of artifacts and memorabilia dating from the Gold Rush era to
the early part of the Twentieth Century. It wasn't long before
the original building could no longer contain the constantly
expanding collection. After many years of fund raising and generous
donations by Jess and Cornelia Lott Sank, Minnie Braseltion Fahey,
and Fred T. Huntington, a new wing was added in 1961. The collection
continued to grow to include, home furnishings, apparel, children's
toys, firearms, needle work, quilts, photographs, mining implements,
musical instruments, sewing machines, tools, as well as
Native American and Chinese artifacts.
Care free, playful youth
The museum leadership passed from Florence Boyle to her daughter
Betty Boyle Davis. Betty Davis and the Native Sons and Daughters
of the Golden West continued to diligently run the museum. The
Pioneer Museum was rededicated in celebration of its 50th anniversary
in May, 1982.
In March, 1999, the museum was deeded over to the City of Oroville
and is now operated by the Department of Parks and Trees.
Las Plumas Power House, on the Feather River,
now under lake Oroville.