Fishing Report

Oroville, California
"City of Gold"



Home Page

Lott Home
Lott Home Story
History
Reservation Fees
Guidlines/Procedures

Chinese Temple
Fish Hatchery
Nature Center
Parks
Pioneer Museum
State Theater
Trails

PARKS AND TREES DEPARTMENT
1735 Montgomery Street, Oroville, CA. 95965
Phone (530) 538-2415
Fax (530) 538-2426
Charles Miller, Director of Parks and Trees

Judge C.F. Lott
Historic Home

The house, a Victorian gothic revival style cottage, was built by 49'er Charles Fayette Lott for his bride Susan. The story says they ate their first meal in their new home on
Christmas Day in 1856, and a packing case served as their table. The family lived in the home until 1962.

The C.F. Lott Historic Home serves as an historic house museum and a cultural repository for decorative art objects typical of Oroville's pioneer families. The collection includes furniture, paintings, rugs, textiles, clothes, silver and
glassware during the Lott family period - 1849-1910.

The Family

Charles Fayette Lott joined a wagon train bound for California in 1849 with a law degree in his pocket. He began his law practice at Bidwell Bar when he discovered the need for lawyers was greater than for miners. Elected State Senator for Butte County in 1851, he moved to Oroville when the county seat was moved there in 1856.

Charles Lott married Susan E Hyer of Pennsylvania the same year. Virginia, interested in the agricultural Oroville Citrus Association. He was active in many fraternal organizations, and politics was always part of his life. Lott was elected Judge of the 2nd Judicial District in 1870. He continued his interest in mining and land development and Interested in the agricultural development of the county, Lott became the first president of the Oroville Citrus Association. He was active in many fraternal organizations, and politics was always part of his life. Lott was elected Judge of the 2nd Judicial District in 1870. He continued his interest in mining and land development and lived to his 94th year.

Fayette Jr. never married and lived in the home until his death in 1927. Cornelia grew up in Oroville, attending Bird Street School and then the Irving Institute in San Francisco. Cornelia married Jesse Sank after her father and brother died. Jesse devoted himself to Cornelia's comfort and happiness after their marriage. Jesse Sank built many of the interesting garden features as tributes to his beloved wife. Cornelia died on August 15, 1953. Jesse willed the property to the City of Oroville in Cornelia's memory with the stipulation that picnic tables be provided for public use.

 

An old Fashioned Garden

The "Old-Fashioned" or "Geometric Style Gardens," first defined by A. J. Downing, was distinguished by regularity and symmetry. The Victorian's garden was designed to express the taste and affluence of a successful businessman. The house and garden combined to create a beautiful effect which invited people outdoors to enjoy the grass, flowers, play croquet, and rest on rustic benches or in airy summer houses.

Landscape architect Vernon M. Dean designed a Victorian garden in Sank Park. Cornelia's picnic tables are located in what is left of the family orange orchard. Also
included are a rose and herb garden, brick walks, fountains, gazebo, and covered patio which provide space for a variety of community uses.

The annual Victorian Tea is held on the first Sunday of February and is sponsored by the park docents. The Mistletoe Party at Christmas and Craft Faire/Flea Market in the Spring are annual events sponsored by the Friends of the Parks, whose many activities support the development of Oroville's museums and parks.



Comments to: CityWebmaster